This recipe is for those days when you know you want to wake up and have an amazing breakfast or brunch, but you know your morning self won’t be able to pull it off. Make this strata when you have guests over for breakfast or brunch. Just make it the night before, and bake in the oven when you wake up!
- 8 cups of stale bread, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 4 cups of finely chopped mushrooms
- I small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- Black pepper
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, ham in olive oil until soft and fragrant. Allow to cool.
- Beat eggs, black pepper, half and half and mustard in a large bowl.
- Add bread to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. (I also get my hands in there and squeeze the bread until it gets all coated and soggy)
- Add the cooled mixture of ham and vegetables; add the cheese, and mix until well incorporated
- Grease 2 small oven trays or one large one and pack the egg mixture into the trays.
(At this point, you can put it in the fridge overnight and relax. You can also bake it right away.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place trays uncovered in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
You can follow Mac on twitter at: @CurlyKitchen